Friday, September 30, 2011

Back to the Motherland

I find it really funny that yesterday I left the Fatherland and flew to the Motherland...Where do I come from??? Uncle Sam or Big Brother I guess. Never thought about it before, but I wonder if every country has some kind of family/relative nickname.

Anyway, a little about my trip...

Things I forgot (momentarily) about Russia - how dirty the bathrooms are, how angry some people can sound when giving directions or talking to strangers, the crazy driving (this is a positive for me - some people like the rides at the fair; I like Russian driving), the way every city looks like some kind of giant lego construction, the warm hospitality and welcoming from 'family', the way every man you walk by in the airport walks up to you and whispers "taxi? Taxi Madame" if they think you are from a different country, and that I can't drink tap water.

Things I remembered about Russia - The smell (I guess after 4 years as home I will never forget it - not bad, not good, just Russia), The way to my old apartment (across from Johan and Judy's apartment where am staying this time - Thanks guys!), the way that Russian women dress as if they are walking out of a fasion magazine, and 24 hours supermarkets.

Things that surprised me - Being met at the airport by my friend in a Lexus SUV - nice - very nice, being greeted with flowers, electronic immigration forms, a smile from the passport control woman, and last but not least - the fact that I am in Russia right now.

I am still surprised that I am here. Two weeks ago my friend Ira called o say that she was getting married - in two weeks. I wasn't really sure that I would be able to get everything in order (visa, plane tickets, time off), but somehow it all worked out and here I am. Still surprised to be here. So, that's all for now... Keep reading, as there will be more to come this week, and hopefully wedding pictures!

No comments: