Friday, September 2, 2011

Invoice Day - or what it's like to be a freelance teacher

So many of you back home have no idea what I do in Germany aside from "something to do with English". So I decided now would be a good time to give you the low down.

I am a freelance teacher, which means that I am contracted by different English companies to go into normal companies to teach business English or conversation. (Confusing right? for example the company "Perfekt Englisch" hires me to go into "Hans and Franz Accounting" to give company courses.) I also have some companies who have contracted me directly or through my website, and some private students. Mostly it's all business English, but sometimes I have the occasional high school student or kid. Oh, and I also work in English testing as an examiner, where I give 15 minute speaking tests for a few hours, 2 or more times a month.
At the moment, I am contracted by 11 different companies (of which many send me out to multiple other companies)...This means two different things.

1. My schedule is like a big puzzle that only I can put together. With each of these different companies booking 90-180 minutes courses in different locations on different days and for different durations, this puzzle is definitely a headache. (Skip the rest of this paragraph if you want to avoid your own headache.) So, I offer availability to company A "I can teach a class from 9-12 on Mondays starting in October", and then company B calls and asks if I can take a course on Mondays from 7:30-9:00...I'm still waiting to find out about company A and might have to wait for another week or two. Company B needs to start the class soon, so they need to know tomorrow. So I either have to gamble and assume I'll get the 4 hour class with company A, or I accept the work that will happen now from company B and hope that I'll be able to shift the course from company A by 30 minutes so I'll have time to get from A to B. Now add in companies C-K and their different schedules, and you might have an idea about how crazy the whole process is. I might work anywhere from 20-60 hours a week depending on which classes are starting and ending and how many hours my private students have booked. Thankfully I've been around 40-50 every week for the last few months.

2. I have to type up 11 different invoices, 11 different ways, with 11 different kinds of additional documents every month. This part is just pure hassle. Every company has it's own form, and it's own attendance sheet. Some require signatures from each student each week, and some require copies of lesson plans, then some others (my favorites) require that I send copies of the material I used with the class. Then just to make it a little more fun some of the companies need the invoices by e-mail, some by post, and one of my favorites (My boss swears all is on the up and up) requires me to bring in my invoice personally where I am paid with a large wad of cash. Interesting, right?

So, today is invoice day...Which means that I am adding up hours, making copies, scans, stuffing a few envelopes and arranging one meeting to get that wad of cash. Fun, right? Exactly! Which is why I'm procrastinating and writing this blog post instead. I should also say, please don't take this as a big complaint post - I'm just trying to give a little insight. I am very happy with my work, and very blessed to have so much!

No comments: